The genus Accipiter is the largest genus of birds of prey consisting of about 50 species of falconiform birds ( "bird" hawks).
The members of this genus are slender, with short, broad, rounded wings and a long tail.
They have long legs and long sharp talons to kill their prey and a powerful hooked beak.
Females tend to be larger than males.
Their typical flight pattern consists of series of flaps followed by a short glide.
Diet / Feeding
Their diet consists mainly of small birds and mammals, often captured after a short chase.
Species in taxonomic order
- Northern Goshawk, Accipiter gentilis
- Eurasian Sparrowhawk, Accipiter nisus
- Grey-bellied Goshawk, Accipiter poliogaster
- Crested Goshawk, Accipiter trivirgatus
- Sulawesi Goshawk, Accipiter griseiceps
- Red-chested Goshawk, Accipiter toussenelii
- African Goshawk, Accipiter tachiro
- Chinese Goshawk, Accipiter soloensis
- Frances's Sparrowhawk, Accipiter francesii
- Anjouan Island Sparrowhawk, or Ndzuwani Goshawk Accipiter francesii pusillus, an extremely rare, possibly extinct, subspecies of Frances's Sparrowhawk
- Spot-tailed Goshawk, Accipiter trinotatus
- Grey Goshawk, Accipiter novaehollandiae
- Brown Goshawk, Accipiter fasciatus
- Christmas Island Goshawk, Accipiter (fasciatus) natalis
- Black-mantled Goshawk, Accipiter melanochlamys
- Pied Goshawk, Accipiter albogularis
- Fiji Goshawk, Accipiter rufitorques
- White-bellied Goshawk, Accipiter haplochrous
- Moluccan Goshawk, Accipiter henicogrammus
- Grey-headed Goshawk, Accipiter poliocephalus
- New Britain Goshawk, Accipiter princeps
- Black Goshawk, Accipiter melanoleucus
- Henst's Goshawk, Accipiter henstii
- Meyer's Goshawk, Accipiter meyerianus
- Chestnut-flanked Sparrowhawk, Accipiter castanilius
- Nicobar Sparrowhawk, Accipiter butleri
- Levant Sparrowhawk, Accipiter brevipes
- Slaty-mantled Sparrowhawk, Accipiter luteoschistaceus
- Imitator Sparrowhawk, Accipiter imitator
- Red-thighed Sparrowhawk, Accipiter erythropus
- Little Sparrowhawk, Accipiter minullus
- Japanese Sparrowhawk, Accipiter gularis
- Small Sparrowhawk, Accipiter nanus
- Rufous-necked Sparrowhawk, Accipiter erythrauchen
- Collared Sparrowhawk, Accipiter cirrocephalus
- New Britain Sparrowhawk, Accipiter brachyurus
- Vinous-breasted Sparrowhawk, Accipiter rhodogaster
- Madagascar Sparrowhawk, Accipiter madagascariensis
- Ovampo Sparrowhawk, Accipiter ovampensis
- Rufous-chested Sparrowhawk, Accipiter rufiventris
- Shikra, Accipiter badius
- Tiny Hawk, Accipiter superciliosus
- Semicollared Hawk, Accipiter collaris
- Sharp-shinned Hawk, Accipiter striatus
- White-breasted Hawk, Accipiter chionogaster
- Plain-breasted Hawk, Accipiter ventralis
- Rufous-thighed Hawk, Accipiter erythronemius
- Cooper's Hawk, Accipiter cooperii
- Gundlach's Hawk, Accipiter gundlachi
- Bicolored Hawk, Accipiter bicolor
- Chilean Hawk, Accipiter (bicolor) chilensis
- Besra, Accipiter virgatus
High Quality Species Photos, Videos and/or Articles Contributions are welcome! Upload your Articles and Images
Please Note: The images on this page are the sole property of the photographers (unless marked as Public Domain). Please contact the photographers directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.
The Avianweb strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date information; however, mistakes do happen. If you would like to correct or update any of the information, please send us an e-mail. THANK YOU!