They mostly feed on birds or small mammals, or the remains of dead animals (carrion).
They usually place their eggs in a depression in the ground. The average clutch consists of 2 to 3 eggs.
They are graceful flyers - soaring at great heights and moving their wings only to adjust to changing air currents.
Species in taxonomic order
- Common Buzzard, Buteo buteo
- Cape Verde Buzzard, Buteo buteo bannermani
- Madeira Buzzard, Buteo buteo harterti
- Socotra Buzzard, Buteo buteo socotrae
- Steppe Buzzard, Buteo buteo vulpinus
- Red-tailed Hawk, Buteo jamaicensis
- Long-legged Buzzard, Buteo rufinus
- Rough-legged Buzzard, Buteo lagopus
- Ferruginous Hawk, Buteo regalis
- Red-shouldered Hawk, Buteo lineatus
- Broad-winged Hawk, Buteo platypterus
- Swainson's Hawk, Buteo swainsoni
- Roadside Hawk, Buteo magnirostris
- Ridgway's Hawk, Buteo ridgwayi
- White-rumped Hawk, Buteo leucorrhous
- Short-tailed Hawk, Buteo brachyurus
- White-throated Hawk, Buteo albigula
- White-tailed Hawk, Buteo albicaudatus
- Galápagos Hawk, Buteo galapagoensis
- Variable Hawk, Buteo polyosoma
- Red-backed Hawk, Buteo (p.) polyosoma - Nominate Race
- Juan Fernández Hawk, Buteo (polyosoma) exsul
- [Puna Hawk, Buteo (polyosoma) poecilochrous] - Disputed
- Grey Hawk, Buteo nitidus - formerly in Asturina
- Grey-lined Hawk, Buteo n. nitidus
- Grey Hawk, Buteo nitidus plagiatus
- Zone-tailed Hawk, Buteo albonotatus
- Hawaiian Hawk, Buteo solitarius
- Rufous-tailed Hawk, Buteo ventralis
- Mountain Buzzard, Buteo oreophilus
- Forest Buzzard, Buteo oreophilus trizonatus
- Madagascar Buzzard, Buteo brachypterus
- Upland Buzzard, Buteo hemilasius
- Red-necked Buzzard, Buteo auguralis
- Jackal Buzzard, Buteo rufofuscus
- Archer's Buzzard, Buteo (rufofuscus) archeri
- Augur Buzzard, Buteo (rufofuscus) augur
High Quality Species Photos, Videos and/or Articles Contributions are welcome! Click here to upload articles and images.
Please Note: The images on this page are the sole property of the photographers (unless marked as Public Domain). Please contact the photographers directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.
The Avianweb strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date information; however, mistakes do happen. If you would like to correct or update any of the information, please send us an e-mail. THANK YOU!