Eclectus Information (Personality, Care, Diet) ... Eclectus Sub-species Identification ... Interesting Video of Eclectuses Breeding in the Wild ... Talking Ability (compared to other species) ... Common Diseases / Conditions of the Eclectus Parrot ... Eclectus Foods ... Recommended Books
The genus Eclectus is composed of nine (possibly ten) subspecies, with differences in size, coloring and natural range.
Of these subspecies, the following four are the most commonly seen in captivity:
- Red-sided Eclectus (Eclectus roratus polychloros)
- Native Range: New Guinea mainlandID: blue eye rings, no yellow tail tips)
- Native Range: Southern Moluccan Islands also known as Maluku Islands, Moluccas or the Spice Islands
- Native Range: Northern Moluccan IslandsID: No blue eye rings. Yellow tail tips.
Significantly less common and unknown in the United States are the:
- Biaki or Biak Island Eclectus (Eclectus roratis biaki)
- Native Range: Biak Islands - northwest of New Guinea
- Sumba Island Eclectus aka Cornelia's Eclectus (Eclectus roratus cornelia)
- Natige Range: Sumba Islands in Indonesia
- Australian Eclectus Parrot or Macgillivray Eclectus (Eclectus roratus macgillivrayi)
- Native Range: Australia, specifically the Cape York PenninsulaAt an average length of 37 cm or 14.5 inches, this is the largest of all Eclectus species
- Native Range: New Guinea
- ID: At an average length of 29.25 cm or 11.5 inches, this is (together with the Riedeli’s Eclectus, the smallest of all Eclectus species.
Species: Scientific: Eclectus roratus cornelia aka Lorius roratus cornelia ... English: Cornelia's Eclectus Parrot ... Dutch: Cornelia's Edelpapegaai ... German: Cornelia Edelpapagei ... French: Perroquet eclectus de Cornelia
Distribution: Sumba in the Lesser Sunda Islands
Species: Scientific: Eclectus roratus riedeli ... English: Riedel's Eclectus Parrot ... Dutch: Riedels Edelpapegaai ... German: Riedels Edelpapagei ... French: Perroquet eclectus de Riedel
Distribution: Tinimbar Islands
Description: The Westerman's Eclectus hen has a dark smoky abdomen and is smaller than the females of the other sub-species, which feature blue or purple abdomens. Identification of the males in the various subspecies is much more difficult to determine. The usual method being differences in the size of the bird and the shade of green in their plumage.
Species: Scientific: Eclectus roratus westermani ... English: Westerman's Eclectus Parrot ... Dutch: Westermans Edelpapegaai ... German: Westermans Edelpapagei ... French: Perroquet eclectus de Westerman
Distribution: only known by aviary specimens
Taxonomy & Recommended Websites:
Family: Psittacidae ... Subfamily: Psittacinae
Genus: Scientific: Eclectus ... English: Eclectus Parrots ... Dutch: Edelpapegaaien ... German: Edelpapageien ... French: Perroquet eclectus ... CITES II: Endangered Species
High Quality Species Photos, Videos and/or Articles Contributions are welcome! Upload your Articles and Images
Please Note: The images on this page are the sole property of the photographers (unless marked as Public Domain). Please contact the photographers directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.
The Avianweb strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date information; however, mistakes do happen. If you would like to correct or update any of the information, please send us an e-mail. THANK YOU!