Sparrowhawks (sometimes referred to as Sparrow Hawk) are small hawks in the genus Accipiter. These include:
- Chestnut-flanked Sparrowhawk, A. castanilius
- Collared Sparrowhawk, A. cirrocephalus
- Eurasian Sparrowhawk, A. nisus
- Imitator Sparrowhawk, A. imitator
- Japanese Sparrowhawk, A. gularis
- Levant Sparrowhawk, A. brevipes
- Little Sparrowhawk, A. minullus
- Madagascar Sparrowhawk, A. madagascariensis
- New Britain Sparrowhawk, A. brachyurus
- Nicobar Sparrowhawk, A. butleri
- Ovampo Sparrowhawk, A. ovampensis
- Red-thighed Sparrowhawk, A. erythropus
- Rufous-chested Sparrowhawk, A. rufiventris
- Rufous-necked Sparrowhawk, A. erythrauchen
- Shikra, A. badius, also known as 'Indian Sparrowhawk'
- Slaty-mantled Sparrowhawk, A. luteoschistaceus
- Small Sparrowhawk, A. nanus
- Vinous-breasted Sparrowhawk, A. rhodogaster
- Frances's Sparrowhawk, Accipiter francesii, also known as Frances' Goshawk
- Anjouan Island Sparrowhawk, or Ndzuwani Goshawk Accipiter francesii pusillus, an extremely rare, possibly extinct, subspecies of Frances's Sparrowhawk
Other bird of prey that may colloquially be called sparrowhawk:
- American Kestrel, Falco sparverius, often incorrectly called a 'Sparrowhawk'
- Nankeen Kestrel, Falco cenchroides, may be referred to as 'Sparrowhawk' on Norfolk Island
High Quality Species Photos, Videos and/or Articles Contributions are welcome! Upload your Articles and Images
Please Note: The images on this page are the sole property of the photographers (unless marked as Public Domain). Please contact the photographers directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.
The Avianweb strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date information; however, mistakes do happen. If you would like to correct or update any of the information, please send us an e-mail. THANK YOU!