Species of Swifts
Taxonomic species list: Family Apodidae
- Genus Cypseloides (9-10 species)
- Genus Streptoprocne (3-4 species)
Tribe Collocaliini - swiftlets
Tribe Chaeturini - needletails
- Genus Mearnsia
- Genus Zoonavena
- Genus Telacanthura
- Genus Rhaphidura
- Genus Neafrapus
- Genus Hirundapus
- Genus Chaetura
Tribe Apodini - typical swifts
- Genus Aeronautes (3 species)
- Genus Tachornis (3 living species)
- Genus Panyptila
- Genus Cypsiurus (2 species)
- Genus Apus (some 17 species)
Known fossil species are:
- Apus gaillardi (Middle/Late Miocene of La Grive-St.-Alban, France)
- Apus wetmorei (Early - Late Pliocene? of SC and SE Europe)
- Apus baranensis (Late Pliocene of SE Europe)
- Apus submelba (Middle Pleistocene of Slovakia).
High Quality Species Photos, Videos and/or Articles Contributions are welcome! Click here to upload articles and images.
Please Note: The images on this page are the sole property of the photographers (unless marked as Public Domain). Please contact the photographers directly with respect to any copyright or licensing questions. Thank you.
The Avianweb strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date information; however, mistakes do happen. If you would like to correct or update any of the information, please send us an e-mail. THANK YOU!